Wednesday 12 September 2012

Art Foundation - Final Pieces -

Final Pieces

These are my final pieces for Art Foundation. I created a range of fascinators, body pin and ring in response to structures of natural forms. 


Physalis Fruit

Iron binding wire cases around a raku bead hung on a brazing rod pin. I spent rather a long time forming patches of circles to slide into the wire frames...but I loved doing it.


Conker Exterior

Glass spikes on a brazing wire grid. The glass spikes were made using a process called "Cotteling" where wax replicas are places inside a tube which is wrapped up with string. These molds are then filled with plaster. Once set the wax can be melted out and the mold filled with glass powder. These are fired and then broken away to reveal very fragile glass spikes.
...you wouldn't even begin to imagine the challenges I came across with this one =)


Lacy Stinkhorn Fungus

Did many experiments to try replicate the textural qualities of this fungus. It already held qualities to make it look like a hat with this mesh form all the way around the bottom. I tried variations in resin, porcelain, latex and crochet before settling on a fine wire base foundation with a latex coating.


Pea Bean Pods

Initially starting as tamarind pods I developed the idea to be pea beans. These were made by layering a variety of toned veneers which could then be sanded back to create a pod form. The centers were then hollowed to hold domed open peas made from aluminium.



Conker Exterior Surface

A perspex disk which I pressed into a panel of wood drilled with various size holes. This created a raised surface texture which became contrasted to the original clear perspex that was given a frosted glass texture when press against the wood.


Cautious Ring 

This ring was initially from the reflection of self brief, however, it felt fitting to be placed with my final show as I was looking into natural structure and many of the forms I used held reoccurring shapes and a sense of tessellation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment