Tuesday 25 September 2012

Etching - Pendant

Etched Heart Pendant

A day with Bron. Learning her techniques to make etched, press formed pendants.
I began by choosing my design to etch onto the gilding metal. This is printed onto acetate and applied to the metal which is then left in the acid for the area to be eaten away.


I cut out a heart shaped mold from acrylic....yes I picked something simple...


The metal is annealed and pressed through the mold using a fly press and rubber back fitting the mold shape.

I was then left with the two separate halves of my pendant, which I then carefully cut out using a piercing saw. Another process I love doing very precisely.



The two haves are then sanded to create an evenly flat surface which are then ready to be soldered together. Once joined the edges can be cleaned up and a jump ring applied leaving you with the end result.

Etched Pendant



No comments:

Post a Comment